Monday, January 14, 2008

Marfy 1031 - skirt


You know you are in a mess when you can't find your TNT (tried and true) patterns! Search high and low for my straight/pencil skirt pattern but it wasn't to be found. Ok, should be easy to find a straight skirt in all my big 4 patterns......no, I buy the patterns to fit my top which is a lot smaller. How about a Burda....no, all the patterns have fancy details (of course that is what we love about Burda but today I just want a plain straight skirt).


Ok, lets look at the 2 Marfy catalogues I have... YES a straight skirt in the Autumn/Winter 06/07 Marfy catalogue. The pattern comes in sizes ranging from 44 to 54 (waist 72cms to 104cms). Perfect - currently the waist is 70cms, so will give it a try.



The pattern is complete even with facings, however I did not use them due to lack of fabric. This is the left over fabric from the Vogue 8398 jacket (cotton lycra purchased at Spotlight in Shepparton). I used cotton tape to stabilise the waist and lined up to the waist. I also understitched.



The lining was a viscose remnant purchased at Cleggs in Jan 08. I used a decorative stitch to take up the hem of the lining. The lining was handstitched to the vent.


I followed the instructions in Power Sewing- Step by Step by Sandra Betzina (page 150) to do a mitred vent with walking ease.

The hem was topstitched using the triple stretch stitch in black to match the jacket.

I had some quick photos taken this morning in the outfit, but didn't have time to upload. Hopefully they are decent enough for posting tonight.

4 comments:

Tany said...

Fabulous! I love the embroidery on the lining hem!

Sigrid said...

Love the topstitching and the special stitch on the lining. It makes is special. I like those details, though you won't see it when wearing it.

Summerset said...

Nicely done - I love the extra little touch on the hem. It's the little details that really make a difference.

Anonymous said...

I love the lining touchs - and hold onto that pattern with your life! A skirt pattern that you love is sewing gold.