Thursday, April 29, 2010

SMOT

It has been a long time between drinks! But hopefully I am back into the sewing mode now.

I signed up for Faye's Spring Month of Tops - which is a bit silly as it is Autumn here. But I have managed to make two tops so far and have another one cut out. All knits, so nothing of great excitement...but I am sewing :))

As the sew-a-long is for the month of April, and I did not start until last week, I decided to try and make a dent in my knit stash. And being short of time I thought I would make up some big 4 patterns. The first is an almost vintage McCall's 2418 (from 1999 I think).

A nice easy 1 hour top..Ha! It took me a lot longer. The pattern has a turnover for the neck facing. This doesn't work - it pulls and puckers. So I just stitched it down about 1 cm from the edge and trimmed it close to the stitching. I also used Burda's method of stabilising the armhole edges with tape. Which was not such a good idea - the armholes are a bit tight and of course now have no stretch. So, in the end it is OK, but I won't be making it again.

It goes well with my suit I bought in Hong Kong and also with another skirt I have cut out but yet to make up.

17 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

First Vicki I'm glad to see you sewing again and blogging about it! Your voice has been missed!

Second, isn't it always the simpliest things that give us the most problems!!! Glad it worked out anyway and it looks great with the suit!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

That is a really nice color on you. I am trying to wrap my mind around the whole "nude fabrics" thing somehow magically *not* washing me out; yours is a great example!

Lori said...

Yea, Vicki, you are back. Cute top and it looks great with your suit.

Birgitte said...

WELCOME BACK! I've missed your posts so much.

You look beautiful and that haircut is super. The top and suit are tres chic :))

Sigrid said...

I'm happy to see you posting again and sewing too! You look great, wonderful outfit.

Sew-4-Fun said...

Woohoo, you're back! I hope you have settled into your new abode. The fact that you are sewing must mean you have made a place for your sewing.

Sharon said...

Lovely to see you back Vicki and that you are sewing.

Your top is a great neutral and will mix so well with your other suits that you will get a lot of wear out of it.

AllisonC said...

Good to see you back posting. I can never make those 1 and 2 hour patterns take anything like that time either! Looks like a great versatile top in an interesting but still neutral colour.

Keely said...

Good to see you back! Your top looks lovely with the suit.

Diana said...

Vicki,Yeah, you're back. I'm so glad to be able to communicate with you and thank you for always commenting on my stuff.I'm also glad that you're sewing again and knit tops aren't always as easy as they seam.It looks good with your lovely suit!

Carol said...

Great to see you sewing again.

Gail said...

I think I'm unofficially on a 'year of tops' sewalong. I have so many bottoms with nothing for the top half.

Summerset said...

Glad to see you again! I know you're around - because I always get a comment from you which I really appreciate!

I know you'll be back to regular sewing in no time - it is like riding a bike, you never quite forget. The top is a great neutral and I'm sure will go with many things when you need something plain to show off a great jacket, skirt or suit.

Ann Made Studio said...

It is so nice to see you are back blogging :) and sewing.
I joined SMOT's too but didn't get the chance to make up not even one top... but will give it a shot this month. Your top looks great and compliments your suit perfectly. Your haircut suits you and I like your new avatar picture.

Tany said...

Welcome back! Doesn't it feels great to be sewing again? (I'm waiting on a chance to start sewing myself, since I only got back yesterday, and I'll take on a written exam on monday so I need all my free time to prepare myself... sigh. By the look of things I won't be able to sew until tueday...)
Your outfit looks terrific!

Kitty Couture said...

Woot! It's great to see you back, Vicki!

I *love* your new haircut. You look smashing!

BrusselsSprout_Katharine said...

Hi Vicki! Glad you're back :)