Saturday, February 22, 2014

Marfy 1913

I've joined Leisa from A Challenging Sew with the free Marfy sew along.  The first make is the top 1913.

  • I didn't do a muslin but did check the measurements to ensure I have enough room.  It is a loose top and  the smallest size offered (42) I have found to be a bit big on me in the past.  I figured I could always take it in.
  • I used a 20 + year old poly I had in my stash.  I know it is at least that old as I bought it from Lincraft at Eastland before the redevelopment back in 1993.  Surprisingly it sewed up really easily, no puckers at all.
  • I added 1cm for seam allowances and sewed french seams.  
  • I added 2cm for the hem and used Leisa's method of hemming. I think I can omit this next time as a normal adjustment for me is to petite the bodice by 3cm, which I did not do with this. Not really necessary as there is no defined waist.
  • I used self made binding for the armholes and french binding for the neckline.  I followed this link and added the cute bow at the back.
  • I cut the back and added a seam.  This I did before I read all of Leisa's instructions - oops.  I am happy how it turned out actually as it doesn't gape as much in the back as the slit versions of others seems to do. I will try the slit version next time and see how I like that.
  • I didn't use the collar for this version.
  • Just happened to have matching belt and shoes in the closet - sweet!

I would like to try the elastic hem and collar for the next version.  And I have ideas also of making a lower neckline version with less cut away shoulders.

Details: Back closure with bow, shoulder seam with french seam and edge binding, hem treatment, neckline french binding.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Vogue 8706

Some more fabric out of the stash and another pattern used! Vogue 8706 is a nice knit dress and a relatively easy make.  My fabric is a reasonably thick polyester lycra bought many years back from Frou Frou fabrics, which closed down a few years ago.

The pattern has a few interesting details - the armholes have piping, the shoulders are asymmetrical in addition to the gathering.  The back is cut on the bias which I don't think is really necessary for a four way stretch fabric however I cut it that way as instructed.

While the pattern was out I also made a top from a fabric that is even older than the one above.  Ah it is good to get it out of stash and into my wardrobe!
This version I didn't bother with piping (I just bound the armholes) and didn't cut the back on the bias (didn't notice any fit difference).

And while I was at it I used the remnants to whip up an elastic waist skirt.  I had to join a piece into the back so make a feature of it.  Some top stitching and split are nice I think.

And for some fun a la Carolyn, some dance moves!