Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Ellen's formal dress




I am working on a dress for Ellen's formal. She has put the order in for a red dress with silver trim. The top will be a bustier with lacing at the back. The skirt is to be tutu inspired. We are using Simplicity 4224.



Here are the raw materials: polyester satin crepe for the bodice, nylon netting for the skirt, silver lame for the lacing and piping, and acetate for the lining. There is also an interlining layer for the bodice that I will use scrap cotton fabric and boning.




So far we have fitted the bodice - there is a gap at the back for the lacing. The pattern has then been adjusted for the changes we needed to make. Details and photos of these are here.


I cut out the interlining with the new pieces and it fits well except for the back. The sway back adjustment makes the back edges crooked. Mmmmmm.........





Well I think I will work on something else now.....the piping. I need about 5 metres. I am following the instructions in Claire Shaeffer's book High-Fashion Sewing Secrets. She details how to cut and join bias strips and then how to make piping from there.



Ok, strips all cut out with the rotary cutter. The mat makes it easy to cut bias with the markings on it. :). Having some trouble with the needle pulling the lame while sewing. Time to go and look up needles - no doubt I am using the wrong one!

No comments: