Friday, August 3, 2007

Testing out some of my Birch goodies.

I thought I would test some of the goodies that I purchased on Wednesday. I particularly wanted to try the rhinestone applicator. A t-shirt would be ideal and I used this Threads article from issue 122 as a starting point.
I stitched netting behind the fabric before cutting the holes. Both the cotton lycra and the netting were purchased from MAD fabrics (a wholesale fabric shop in Melbourne). The netting was only $1 a metre, so I bought several metres at the time. My holes were very random. I used the netting for the neck band as well.

This picture shoes the left arm...
and here the right.... and a close up of the rhinestones and the netting. I am quite pleased at how it turned out. I overlocked the seams and just did one row of topstitching for the neckline and the hems.


Other items that got tried out were:
. Birch blue cutting board. This was an addition to my Olfa green one. The Olfa is just a little bit bigger but they worked well together and I did not need to move the fabric.
. Kai 28mm rotary cutter. I prefer my Olfa cutter. The Kai was harder to use and needed to be pressed at an even pressure to get a good cut - this made it feel a bit less safe also.
. Clover white marking pen. This I found to be very good and I will be using a lot. It marked quite well and comes off with ironing. I like it better than the purple one I had been using.

7 comments:

Tany said...

Great T!! You did a fabulous job with the netting!

Summerset said...

Nicely done - I like the idea of another fabric behind the cut outs. You'd probably be surprised to know that I don't own a heat set tool for rhinestones. Yet. It is on my list of toys to purchase!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Vicki - I like your top! The netting along with the rhinestones add a wonderful dimension to the top. Will you make more?

Connie B said...

That tee looks really cute! Love the netting.

Liana said...

This is so cute! I especially like the neckline treatment, which really pulls it all together into a very 'designer' Tee, which of course it is!

Marji said...

Such a creative and fun piece.
Love what you're doing lately.

Anonymous said...

I love this top! The cutouts seem to be perfectly placed and that can be quite a process. All the details work well together. Well done, Vicki!