Sunday, June 24, 2007
Friday, June 22, 2007
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Monday, June 11, 2007
The pattern calls for buckles for the straps to be attached to. I just sewed them directly to the bag and attached buttons (with a cute bag on them) to the front straps. The pattern also says that "All bags have inside pocket" but there is no pattern piece for one or instructions to add one?? Anyway, I added 3. Here is an inside photo:
More photos of the pockets and details of the lining and stramps can be seen in my previous post.
Sofie and I also went shopping today to Spotlight and Bunnings in Bayswater. Pretty handy as one is across the road from the other. We got some swatches for fabric and for paint for the makeover of The Good Room.
I really like the fabric on the left - chocolate, brown and blue/teal. The second fabric is a microsuede and would be a better choice for the couches as it can co ordinate with more colours. The Fabric on the right is a kind of latte colour and is for curtains. We like the two colours in the middle of the paint card for the walls. We will probably go for the lighter of the two as the room is not large. So it is to be brown, cream and touches of teal. If all goes to plan I will go back to Spotlight on Wednesday to buy the curtain fabric and start those. Next will be to paint on the weekend. Lets hope it is not too cold and wet!
Sunday, June 10, 2007
We have a French exchange student coming to stay with us in early July for a couple of weeks. So, we had a look around and decided the house could do with a bit of a spruce up. We started this morning in the kitchen. DH got the job of taking the venetians out to wash while DDs and I scrubbed polished and generally tidied up. It took about and hour and a half and then we went to lunch :)
This after noon we decided to once and for all fix up the playroom. This is a room outside the girls bedrooms. When they were young they played Bratz dolls and blocks there. Hence the name of the room. Now that they are teenagers they have renamed the space "The Good Room" - after Kath & Kim (Aussie TV show). DD no 2 Sofie said I never follow through (we had planned to redo the room on several previous occasions) and I hate to admit that she is right 'cos I do get the "can't be bothereds". Well to make sure I do follow through this time, I hereby declare the makeover of the "Good Room. The to do list is:
1. clean up - done
2. clear out old toys - done
3. rearrange tv to see if we like new location - done
4. get swatches for fabric and paint (see it will be sewing related)
5. paint the room
6. recover couches (sofas)
7. make curtains (this one may be difficult - I still haven't made the bedroom curtains, that I bought fabric for back in 2000!!)
8. buy carpet
9. new tv
10. arrange for digital antenna
The door on the left is to Ellen's bedroom. Sofie's room is next to hers. Sofie is in the picture on the right - my little helper. Ellen was busy cleaning out her room - a well overdue task. We should have exchange students come more often :))
Ellen is in the photo below. She is on the staircase that leads to the rest of the house.
And here is after shots. We have moved the couch and TV. The plan is to put a small flat screen tv on the wall above the cupboards.
If you look closely you can see the rubbish outside! At the front door there is an even bigger pile to go to St Vinnies!
As a side note - there were curtains for both ends of the room but alas they did not work properly! Curtains are definitely not my strong point!!
Saturday, June 9, 2007
I decided to keep the top of the sheet as the top of my pockets (saves on stitching ) and did a decorative stitch to pretty it up a bit.
For the straps I used some green grosgrain ribbon which I stitched on top as seen in this picture:
Here is a photo with the ribbon sewn on.
So, everything was going along nicely. Had a bit of trouble getting the sides stitched to the bottom but with lots of clipping I managed to get it attached without any ripples. Mmmmm, I think something is wrong.........
Lucky I have enough fabric to recut - oh darn!!!!!!!!!!!
Sunday, June 3, 2007
I found that making the jacket in a knit brought about a few problems. It stretches! I had to take the sides in a good inch each. Also the shoulders are a bit sloppy and would benefit from a small shoulder pad. And the empire line is a bit lower, but that is ok. On the very plus side...it is sooo comfy. The pink jacket I made in this pattern is very restricting but the red one is just like a cardie! While in Shepp, I bought a long sleeve black top for $9.95 on special, which will look great with the jacket. The top I have on in the photo is just a sleeveless knit.
Also while in Shepparton I just happened to drop into the local Spotlight and found some cute canvas fabric in the remnant bin - it cost all of $1.96! Obviously it wants to be a handbag!
So that is the plan for today. My first handbag/tote. My Marfy can continue to wait.....