I finished the dress last night and wore it to work today. I decided to go bias on the band and stabilised it with interfacing (thanks Summerset!). As the checks are not squares, I needed to make a centre seam at the front to ensure the checks looked balanced. One think I did not do but I recommend others do is to stay stitch the bodice front side seams. They grew! To fix this I just ease stitched them before attaching to the bodice back.
I did not follow the patterns method of construction. Vogue has you make the bodice and then attach to the skirt. I prefer to make the whole front and the back and do the full side seams at the end. This makes it much easier to make that final fitting. And also any weight changes can be more easily altered for.
I need some more work on invisible zips!! This zip is not so invisible! This was my first go at inserting the zip with the seam already sewn, a la the Sewing Divas. Well I am not a diva yet! I will practice to get it even closer and go back and resew the zip closer. I should be able to do this without taking it out. Previous zips have been with the seam open and I have had better results. But with this I was also conscious of making sure the checks matched up.
Loved the way the lining is sewn to the zip tape! This is also a first for me and I am pretty happy how that turned out. Thank you Marji :) And of course the shoes...........